The internet has given us incredible opportunities we never knew were available to us. In fact, there are almost 2 billion websites online right now, and this number keeps growing.
However, not all of them can benefit us and our daily lives. Some malicious content can distract and harm our families. So, is there a way to protect ourselves from these malicious sites?
Thankfully, you can block websites on Chrome easily to stop you or anyone who accesses your devices from visiting sites you deem harmful.
Not only can you block malicious sites, but you can also restrict access to some sites that can distract you from working.
In this article, I’ll show you various ways on how to block a website on Chrome, so you and your family can have a safer browsing experience.
Ready? Let’s Fly!
How to Block a Website on Chrome?
1. Using a Browser Extension.
If you’re not a techie person, blocking a website on Chrome can seem like a daunting task. But don’t worry!
This first method is the most friendly way to restrict access to specific websites. It’s also suitable for both Windows and Mac users.
The process is simple; all you have to do is download and install a Chrome extension, set up the app, and you’re good to go.
For this method, the first app I recommend is BlockSite. This is a Chrome extension that allows you to block websites and more. Here’s how you can download and install this app to your Chrome browser:
Note: BlockSite is a freemium Chrome extension. The free plan allows you to block up to six websites and only one category. But with the premium subscription, you can block an unlimited number of websites and any of their categories, plus you get access to all of its features.
- On your desktop, open Google Chrome and go to the Chrome web store.
- Click the search bar on the left side of the Chrome web store page and type BlockSite extension.
- Click the BlockSite app with the red shield icon from the search result.
- Then, click the Add to Chrome button.
- After clicking the button, a pop-up window will appear. Click Add extension to download the extension.
- Once the download is complete, it will be automatically installed in your browser, and the BlockSite app will be added to your extension list.
Once you have downloaded the extension from the Chrome web store, you can now start blocking websites on Chrome. Follow the steps below:
- Open the BlockSite by pressing the Extensions button (puzzle piece icon) found on the right side of your Google Chrome browser and clicking BlockSite from the drop-down menu. This will open a new tab.
- On the BlockSite website, paste the URLs or enter the website you want to block on the text box and click Add Item or press Enter to block the site.
- Alternatively, you can block sites using this app by uploading a CSV file. Simply click the Import button and upload the file.
- After clicking the file, you’ll be asked if you want to merge your new and current list or override it. Choose which suits your needs most.
- There’s another way to block a site using this website blocker. All you have to do is visit the site you want to block, click the red shield icon found on your Extensions menu, and click block this site from the pop-up window.
- You can also block websites even if you’re in incognito mode. Go to the settings page by clicking Settings from the left navigation window and press the Enable in Incognito Mode button found on the right side of the page.
- If you’ve enabled the incognito mode, the blocked site on your list should not be accessible on both standards and incognito viewing. So when users try to access these sites, they will see this on your screen instead of the actual website.
Other BlockSite app features worth noting:
- Categories – Allows you to block websites under the same type, such as social, sports, gambling, shopping, etc.
- Focus Mode – Perfect for individuals who are looking to increase their productivity. This feature temporarily blocks sites during a specific period. This also allows you to set intervals between focus modes to browse comfortably during your break.
- Block by Words – Let you use words and phrases to block websites on Chrome. Once the app detects that the domain name contains one of your list of blocked terms or phrases, it will automatically restrict access.
- Password Protection – Allows you to password-protect your blocked websites so that anyone who tries to access them will be required to enter the password.
If you want to block sites but aren’t ready to spend some cash, LeechBlock NG is for you. It’s a simple tool that stops you from accessing areas that waste your time.
With this free tool, you can add up to 30 sets of sites to block and schedule when to restrict access to them.
For example, you can block sites within fixed time periods, after a time limit, or with a combination of time periods and time limits.
This is perfect for those who want to increase productivity or limit their screen time. Follow the steps below to start blocking websites using this app:
- Go to the Chrome web store and search for Leechblock NG.
- Add the app to your extensions by clicking Add to Chrome > Add extension.
- Once you’ve installed the app, click it from your Extension menu.
- From the pop-up window, click Options. This will open a new tab.
- Unlike the BlockSite extension, which already has a predefined category, LeechBlock NG gives you total control over how you can block websites on Chrome. Under the Options page, you have the freedom to name your own block or category and add the domain names of the sites you need to block.
- You can also set the schedule when you want to block a website or how long it will be blocked before you access it.
- Next, you can customize how you want the sites to be blocked. For example, you can close the tab right away instead of blocking the site, enter a page URL to show instead of the blocked sites, and more.
- Once done, click Save. Now, whenever you try to visit anything on your block site list, you won’t be able to access them.
2. Using a Mobile App.
Google Chrome isn’t only available as a web browser. Smartphones, particularly Android devices, are using the mobile version of this app. So, how can you block a website on Google Chrome mobile app?
Simple, through a third-party app like BlockSite.
Yes, that’s right. This chrome extension is also available on smartphones. If you have an account on this app, you can sync your block list on multiple devices, so you won’t have to set it up every time. Its interface is similar to the extension, so it will be easy for you to navigate.
Here’s how you can block a website on your smartphone:
- Open your Google Play Store to download the app for Android users or Apple store for iPhone users.
- Then, download and install the app.
- Once downloaded, open and find the green plus icon to add the website to your list.
- Enter the full URL of the website you want to add. You can also add apps to your list. Type the app’s name, and you’re good to go.
- Next, tap Done to confirm your action.
- To check if the tool works, visit the blocked website or app.
3. Using Your Device’s Built-In Parental Controls.
If you have a child using your devices (like me), then the best way to block websites on Chrome is by using your device’s parental control. This will allow you to create content restrictions for your children, so they won’t be able to access various sites that aren’t kid-friendly.
Unfortunately, only Windows 10, Google Chrome, and the Google Family Link apps have this feature.
So, if you have a Mac computer, I suggest using the Google Chrome feature since the built-in parental controls don’t allow you to block a website on Chrome.
For Windows 10 users, follow the steps below to start blocking websites on your device and Chrome browser:
- On your Windows device, open Settings > Accounts.
- Then, create an account for your child. Click Family & other users > Add a family member > Create one for a child.
- After creating an account for your child, go to your Microsoft accounts page.
- Click on your child’s account and go to Overview > Content filters.
- On the Content Filters page, you can enter the URLs of the sites you want to block. Once done, press the plus icon, and the URL will be automatically added to your list.
- You can also turn on the Filter inappropriate websites and searches option to limit adult website access for your children.
- To check if it works, switch to your child’s Microsft account and see if the blocked sites can be accessed or not.
For Mac users, one way to turn on content privacy restrictions is through the Google Chrome parental controls. This will restrict access to web content that isn’t suitable for your child. Here’s how you can do so:
- On your Chrome browser, go to your account preferences.
- Next, tick the Turn on SafeSearch box and click Save.
- Once you’ve enabled this option, you can limit adult websites and any others that contain explicit content that you want to be hidden from your child.
Google Family Link App
If your child owns a smartphone, whether Android or iOS, the Google Family Link app is an excellent tool. However, since Google is made for Android, some of the app’s features may not work correctly on an iOS device. Follow the steps below to block sites using this app:
- On your Google Play Store or Apple Store, download the app.
- Open your child’s account.
- On their account, go to Manage Settings > Filters on Google Chrome >Managed sites > Blocked.
- Then, hit the Add an exception icon.
- Enter the URL or website domain name you want to block.
- Lastly, save the setting and check if it works.
Pro Tip: Using Guided Access on an iOs device is a great way I have found to stop my kids from clicking anywhere else on the screen.
4. Using a Router.
If you want to ensure that everyone in your household won’t be able to access certain websites, using a router to block sites is a great solution. It will not only block pages on Chrome but in every browser of every device connected to your WiFi.
Here’s how you can do this:
- Open your Chrome browser and type the IP address of your router. The address is usually found at the back of the device.
- Then, log in to your router’s settings. If you don’t know your credentials, check the back of your router to see if they’re provided.
- The location of the website blocking tool of your router depends on its brand and manufacturer. In some, you’ll find it under the Security settings. While in others, it’s in the Advanced settings. Feel free to navigate your router’s settings to locate the built-n site blocking tool.
- Once you have found the tool, enter the websites you want to block.
- Finally, save your changes and restart your router.
There are various reasons why you want to block certain websites. If you want to keep your child safe and secure from malicious content, I suggest you set up parental controls instead of just installing an app.
In some devices, it filters out all mature content, so you’re sure that your kid won’t see anything they are not supposed to.
If you’re doing this to increase productivity, a browser extension like BlockSite and Leechblock NG is the best option.
Lastly, if you’re doing this to increase your web security and block various sites, then my other recommendation is to consider getting a secure email for better digital protection.
If you have other ways of blocking websites on Chrome, let me know! I’d love to hear how you keep your browsing safe and secure.
It’s time to be the pilot of your life and not just the passenger.
Chris Bournelis is a blogger, search engine optimization, and content marketing specialist. He has been working in the online business since 2015. Join him here at ChrisBournelis.com for the best SaaS reviews and tips to get the most out of your online business.